Monday, August 28, 2006

Categories, Definitions, and the Elements of Prayer

Note: This post is a response to a comment on "Doubt, Unlimited Access, and the Power of Prayer." To see the comment click on the link at the bottom.

Prayer is not only about requests, but it somewhat depends on your definition of the word, whether it is narrow or broad. Let me explain.

Webster's definition for the word "pray" as it pertains to our discussion says: 1. to make a request in a humble manner 2. to address God...with adoration, confession, supplication, or thanksgiving. So in its most basic meaning, it just means conversation with God or talking to God. In this basic sense, what we most commonly call "praise" and "worship" would fall under our broad category of prayer. Communion with God is impossible without prayer, just like it is impossible to be friends with a person without communication.

In the Bible, there are several different words and even categories that refer to this broad category, but when it is translated in English as pray, prayer, etc. it usually refers to making requests or petitions. This is also the primary emphasis particularly in the New Testament when there are commands concerning prayer. This is the sense I which I use it, particularly when I have talked about the prayer of faith, power of prayer, doubt, and so on. These are all elements of prayer that have primarily to do with prayer being requests or petitions of some sort. If I am talking about other aspects of the broad category, I will do my best to define clearly what I am referring to, rather than using broad, unspecific terms that could refer to many things.

However, I agree that there is more to be said about the elements of prayer in the broad category of communication with God. Clearly our spiritual life would be quite incomplete, and, dare I say, immature, if we only make requests to God when we need something from Him, yet fail to praise Him and worship Him in everyday life, as well as listen to what He would say to us. I will make a point of addressing some of these topics in the coming weeks.
Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home