Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Cars, Walking, and the Journey of Life

I walked to the church office this morning.
I think it's a little over a mile. It's not that difficult, and I enjoy it. When we drive places, it's more convenient, more sheltered from the elements, and we don't realize how far we've traveled. Walking is unique because it forces me to have a different outlook on life. It gives me an idea of how far the trip really is, helps me enjoy God's creation, and helps me be realistic about the journey.
Life is a journey. Often, we live like we're driving a car around. We want to leave now, have few problems on the way, and get there quickly. But life doesn't fit into our highway trip itinerary. Walking is a much more natural approach to life. In fact, much of life is more mountainous and difficult. There are many kinds of terrain that it's not possible to drive a car through. That's when we need to put on our walking shoes, grab our walking stick, and start moving. How do we get there? One step at a time.
The thing about life's difficulties is that they actually provide more potential for us to enjoy it. Why? Because God created us to climb mountains, to overcome challenges, and to go somewhere worth going.
The other reason I like walking is that it's worth doing as an activity, even without a destination. I'd much rather invite someone to walk with me than to take a drive. We don't always have to be going somewhere. However, a lot of people live like it, and spend all their time in a great hurry to go nowhere.
I don't know about you, but I'd much rather go somewhere slowly than go nowhere fast.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true. I have driven to Eddie's house many times, about a mile from Gma's house. The other day I decided to walk. I got such a better sense of the journey when walking it then driving...

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home