Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Procrastination, Today, and Redeeming the Time

"I'll do it later."
I've said or thought those words too many times in my life. They are the words of someone who's addicted to procrastination. Now I'm trying to recover from my compulsion. I'm trying to have the character quality of what I like to call "Doitnowness."
To be honest, sometimes my procrastination doesn't seem to result in any negative effects. What difference does it make if I call today or tomorrow to schedule my dentist appointment? Or if do my homework assignment the day before it's due or the day it's due?
But there are other times it has been costly, such as the time I waited too long to get the oil changed (misreading the dipstick didn't help) and soon after needed a new engine.
What's harmful about procrastination is not necessarily whatever negative results may happen, but the attitude itself. It keeps us from living fully right now. It's the ultimate slippery slope, especially when it becomes habitual. Because, if I've already put it off from yesterday to today, why not wait until tomorrow? Before I know it, it's been two weeks -- or two years.
That's because life is lived a day at a time, and today is all we ever really have. I don't live for God tomorrow, I live for Him today.
Doitnowness is the same attitude that says with Ephesians 5:16, "Making the most of every opportunity..." or, as another translation renders it, "Redeeming the time..."
There are some things that should be put off until tomorrow, until the proper time to do them. Doitnowness says, don't put off until tomorrow what you should do today. And don't put it off until tomorrow if it would simplify your life to do it right now. It won't get any easier to do...it never does. It's always easiest, and best, to do it right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home