Saturday, July 15, 2006

Circumstances, Perspective, and Fighting for Change

I would like to be able to say that submission to God's influence and direction is a constant in my life. Unfortunately, this is not always true.
More often, it seems, circumstances play a deciding part. How frequently do you say the phrase "Under the circumstances..."? Even if you don't really believe that you're "under" the circumstances (like you might be under a rock or under pressure, like you can't do anything about circumstances), this outlook probably affects you more than you would like to admit. We often say that we are free people, but our actions and decisions frequently speak otherwise. I know, I've lived there, and I still struggle with living free from that. It is a human tendency to give the most attention to the things that are beyond our control, while we ignore the incredible influence and ability we have in other areas.
From a heavenly perspective, circumstances don't even make the radar screen. They don't intimidate Him or dictate to Him; rather, He dictates to circumstances. God is not only bigger than circumstances, He gives you power to influence them and change them. The people who follow Him, follow His example . Those who live with a purpose from above have a different set of priorities. We no longer have to fall when pushed. We are capable of fighting back. Determine to change the things you can, and look for God to change the things you can't.
I don't know about you, but when I look back on my life, I don't want circumstances to be a determining influence in my life. So, instead of saying "Under the circumstances..." I'm going to start saying, "Despite the circumstances, God..." And, "Under God's mercy..."
Because I want God to be the main character in my life, He must also be the main character in my thoughts, attitude, and outlook.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home